Suing The Police

You might be thinking about claiming compensation from the police if you have been treated badly by an officer, for example if you were wrongfully arrested or assaulted. This may be particularly important to you if you have made a complaint against the police but were unhappy with the outcome. In those circumstances, financial compensation can serve as a reassuring acknowledgement by the police that something went wrong.

Some of the most common legal grounds for pursuing an action against the police are:

  1. False imprisonment: If the police detain you without having a lawful reason.
  1. Assault: For example, if excessive force has been used against you, or you were injured during the course of an unlawful arrest (see further information on this here).
  1. Malicious prosecution: This might be relevant where, for example, the police caused your prosecution to cover up their own wrongdoing. You need to show that, not only were you prosecuted without conviction, but also that there was no reasonable and probable cause for prosecuting you and that the police acted maliciously. It can be particularly difficult to prove the element of malice.
  1. Human Rights Act: You can claim for a breach of your rights under the European Convention of Human Rights. For example, if your right to a private and family life (Article 8) or your right to freedom of expression (Article 10) has been breached.

This is not an exhaustive list - you may wish to seek advice on claims in misfeasance in public office, discrimination, or harassment, amongst others.

The value of your claim will depend on the circumstances of your case. It is important to take legal advice before suing the police to ensure that you get the damages that you deserve, but also so that you can get a realistic idea of what you might achieve.

Civil Actions Against the Police Specialist Legal Advice

At Saunders Law, we offer expert legal assistance and representation in civil claims against the police, including for false imprisonment, assault, malicious prosecution, and under the Human Rights Act. We can also assist you in making a complaint against the officers involved. We're well-known for actions against the police and other state authorities, and take a thorough and determined approach to cases, working hard to ensure that you obtain the appropriate level of damages for the wrong that you have suffered. All of our solicitors within the Civil Liberties and Actions against the Police Department have extensive experience in this area.

For a free, no-obligation, initial discussion to see if we might be able to help, please contact us today.

Call us on02076324300 or make an enquiry online.


    How can we help?

    Please fill in the form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

    We have partnered with Law Share from JMW Solicitors LLP to refer instructions and clients to them, when we are unable to act. By answering yes to this question, you agree that we may pass your details on to Law Share in such circumstances. You are under no obligation to instruct JMW Solicitors LLP after being referred. We may receive a payment from JMW Solicitors LLP further to this referral.