The police tried to prosecute me for a crime I did not commit. What can I do?

The police can sometimes submit cases for charging where the suspect has done nothing wrong. These cases can involve a forceful, unnecessary arrest and sometimes a suspect is imprisoned on remand for months before a trial.

Often, the trial verdict is then simply not guilty when the police and the CPS offer insufficient or even no evidence at all. Many victims of this process feel the police arrested them without cause and then charged them with an offence to cover their tracks and justify their actions after the fact.

If this has happened to you, and depending on the circumstances, you may have options to seek justice and accountability. What are those options?

Complaint against the police

If you feel the police attempted to prosecute you for a crime they knew you did not commit, a complaint against the police can hold individual officers accountable for their actions and can result in misconduct proceedings.

No compensation for a victim can arise from a complaint, but the officers who wrongly pursued you can be disciplined and removed from their duties so they cannot treat others in the same way.

Civil claim for compensation

Investigations can ensue to examine the facts of your arrest and prosecution. If it is found that the police acted improperly or negligently, and you suffered physical or mental injuries from their unlawful actions, you may be entitled to compensation from the police force. You may also be able to claim for financial losses you sustained if you are unable to work due to that loss, or were unable to work for a period of time.

A civil claim does not lead to individual officers being disciplined.

How can a solicitor help if the police have attempted to wrongfully prosecute me?

Saunders Law have a long history of investigating the actions of the police and their treatment of private individuals. Our experts can assess whether that treatment was unlawful and pursue a case against the police in line with your specific aims.

If you would like to take action against the police in respect of an unlawful arrest and failed prosecution, contact Saunders Law who will be able to advise you on the appropriate course of action.


    How can we help?

    Please fill in the form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

    We have partnered with Law Share from JMW Solicitors LLP to refer instructions and clients to them, when we are unable to act. By answering yes to this question, you agree that we may pass your details on to Law Share in such circumstances. You are under no obligation to instruct JMW Solicitors LLP after being referred. We may receive a payment from JMW Solicitors LLP further to this referral.