Steve Garratt is an accomplished Higher Rights advocate in criminal and civil cases, noted for strategic thinking and his ability to identify case winning argument.
In addition, to his busy regulatory practice, Steve has successfully acted over the years as advocate and solicitor in a vast number of criminal cases including major frauds, perverting the course of justice, murder, drugs, sexual offences, and appeals.
Of particular and recent note, Steve successfully defended a co-defendant of Ben Field regarding allegations of double murder, as featured in the channel 4 documentary, ‘catching a killer’: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/maids-moreton-murder-church-warden-magiciaThankThan-pensioner-death-money-will-a8895366.html and worked to reduce murder to manslaughter on behalf of another client in another widely reported case of alleged murder: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6161520/albertina-choules-death-oap-garden-tautvydas-narbutas-fire-details/
Admitted as a solicitor in 2003, and with thirteen years of advocacy experience, he is perfectly positioned to defend such cases, and those of -
- lawyers and other professionals hauled up before their Regulators for alleged professional discipline breaches, and
- persons accused of financial irregularities and money laundering on entirely speculative grounds; as the authorities get to keep any tainted monies they seize as ‘proceeds of crime’, they have an old fashioned motive to suspect the worst of people with assets!
- Criminal Finance Act 2017 and Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 applications to freeze/confiscate money or assets
- Issues regarding the international trade in arms, and gold bullion, and High Value Goods registrations
- the many areas where the state seeks to criminalise activity including Health & Safety, Trading Standards, Intellectual property piracy, copyright and trademark infringement, Market abuse and Insider trading.