Specialising in Intellectual Property, Privacy and Data Protection disputes.
As a well-respected and experienced commercial litigator, Will regularly acts for a range of clients including public figures; private and high-profile individuals in the media; tech start-ups; SMEs and listed companies.
Will represents clients in the High Court, Companies Court, Intellectual Property Enterprise Court (IPEC) and at I-CANN (under the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy).
Will worked for an electronics company in Hong Kong, before becoming a solicitor, which has given him a valuable insight into the reality of how a business operates, particularly how commercial assets such as Intellectual Property are developed and commercially exploited. Will continues to apply that commercial experience and straightforward approach when working with clients, advising them on the protection and enforcement of their rights.
- Acting on behalf of a global public sector strategy consultancy against copyright infringers in multiple jurisdictions.
- Advising a crypto currency as to the enforcement of its IP rights and the resolution of litigation surrounding a funding white paper.
- Advising a London-Turkish joint venture technology start-up in respect of its IP rights in the dissolution of a 'blockchain' technology platform venture.
- Advising a technology company, operating exclusively in the oil industry, in a claim for infringement of registered designs and design rights in the UK and Kazakhstan.
- Acting for a UK based software company against a leading US bank in a copyright and database rights infringement claim concerning the creation of bespoke and highly complex financial analytical software.
- Acting for a French design house, enforcing its extensive portfolio of Registered Design rights in the UK.
- Acting for a Paris based, international luxury cosmetics brand, protecting and enforcing its IP rights against major international retailers.
- Defending a London based movie production company in Passing-off proceedings.
- Acting for a celebrity fitness personality and actor in respect of infringement of his performance rights and copyright in promotional exercise content.
- Acting for a well-known figure in a ‘freezing order’ injunction application in a multi-million-pound art fraud case.
Defamation, Privacy & Data Protection
- Acting for a well-known public figure in securing their exclusion from the memoir of another very well-known celebrity.
- Acting on behalf of a well-known public figure in the News Group Newspapers phone-hacking litigation.
- Acting for a global defence contractor, advising on defamation and breach of confidentiality claims arising out of Ministry of Defence tenders, including litigation in Hong Kong.
- Acting on behalf of several local authorities in the defence of group litigation claims arising from the theft of personal data following cyber hacks.
- Successfully defending an online luxury goods retailer against claims of Defamation, Malicious Falsehood, Passing-off, Misrepresentation and Cybersquatting, in a dispute with a competitor.
- Advising a heritage brand on defamatory allegations contained in articles published in hard copy and online in an industry magazine, both in the UK and Australasia.
- Advising a charity in the healthcare sector in respect of the trolling of its staff by unknown third parties, relating to unfounded claims of abuse.
- Acting for individual trustees of a charity in respect of allegations of fraud and deceit.
- Acting for a Hong Kong based individual in a UK focused defamation and harassment injunction application.
- Acting for an internationally renowned aesthetic doctor in a claim against a former professional employee in respect of misuse of confidential information and infringement of database rights.
Publications & Speaking
- Will has written for, and contributed extensively to, articles in publications on the topic of the protection of Intellectual Property; most recently he was quoted in an article on start-ups for The Times newspaper.
- Will has also held seminars and workshops on Intellectual Property, Privacy and Data Protection. Recent events have included: an educational seminar for school children and their parents on the dangers of social media and revenge porn; and he was a guest speaker and panellist at a UK technology expo.
- Re Lifemarque (Ch)
A multi-million-pound minority shareholder unfair prejudice petition claim, in which the court made an important determination as to the merits of differing company valuation methodologies.
" Will Charlesworth is a respected litigator, particularly knowledgeable in the areas of IP and software disputes. His work frequently includes cross-border elements. A client values his "technical knowledge, practical approach and ability to communicate legalese at our level."
(Chambers and Partners 2019)
“Will Charlesworth is a respected intellectual property disputes lawyer. He has a particular specialism in software disputes and handling domain name cybersquatting issues.”
(Chambers and Partners 2017)
(Intellectual Property, Legal 500 2017)