Specialising in commercial, civil and media litigation and dispute resolution, Matthew acts for both individuals and companies, from SMBs to global PLCs.
Matthew is also well-known for robustly defending regulated professionals, such as solicitors and doctors, in professional discipline matters.
Matthew is a partner who along with James Saunders leads the Dispute Resolution team at Saunders Law. Prior to joining Saunders Law, Matthew worked in-house for a global PLC as a commercial litigation solicitor and has always practiced litigation.
Matthew also has particular experience in advising professional clients facing regulatory difficulty, particularly solicitors facing misconduct allegations before the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal and medical professionals and students before the General Medical Council. With criminal litigation experience, Matthew also advises companies and individuals facing prosecution.
Experienced in the full range of litigation, Matthew also prepares appeals to the Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and Privy Council.
Matthew has a growing cross-border practice, encompassing appeals to the Privy Council from the Isle of Man to Bermuda, as well as advising a number of global businesses on cross-border breach of contract and debt litigation.
Recent Commercial Litigation Experience
- Defending injunctions against an international cosmetics company and associated defamation claims
- Advising a major property company on negligent advice given by surveyors and solicitors in a £600k+ dilapidations dispute
- Obtaining an urgent injunction against an international shipping company to prevent the transport of stolen, high-value goods abroad
- Drafting anti-bribery policies and procedures for an African investment and development organisation
- Defending a breach of contract and data protection dispute for a global recruitment organisation
Recent Professional Discipline Experience
- Securing an agreed outcome before the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal with the Solicitors Regulation Authority, for a solicitor accused of dishonesty offences, resulting not in strike-off, but a simple fine
- Representing a former partner of a law firm in matters arising from an intervention and preparing representations to the Solicitors Regulation Authority
- Acting for a former solicitor Director of News International in connection with disciplinary proceedings bought by the Solicitors Regulatory Authority leading to exoneration
- Assisting a medical professional in fitness to practice proceedings, ultimately culminating in an appeal to the High Court
Recent Media Law Experience
- Acting for a former Director of News International in relation to litigation arising from the phone hacking scandal, both domestically and abroad
- Assisting a global television news organisation following criminal investigations in relation to broadcast content
- Advising diplomatic staff at the Polish Embassy in London in relation to breach of privacy
Matthew also regularly commentates on the law and legal developments. Matthew has recently:
- Appeared on BBC Watchdog, discussing issues arising out of Apple's restrictive consumer warranties (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43960267) / (https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/6193488/apple-unnecessary-faults-iphone-repairs/)
- Appeared on BBC Rogue Traders to provide advice on liability and litigation procedure in property damage claims
- Contributed to articles in The Telegraph in relation to freelance working and managing debtors (paywall) (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/going-freelance-five-key-things-think-mortgages-car-insurance/)
- Written pieces for The Law Society Gazette on professional discipline inside a law firm (https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/features/how-to-discipline-a-colleague/5068011.article)