If you have suffered wrongs or ill-treatment at the hands of a public body, we can help you enforce your civil liberties and hold the state to account.
We regularly assist those who have suffered some of the most serious abuse obtain justice and pride ourselves on building strong, trust-based relationships with our clients.
Our Experience Protecting Our Clients’ Civil Liberties
Our lawyers have an excellent record obtaining compensation and apologies, along with disciplinary action, against the police and other public bodies.
Our civil liberties work includes:
- Securing compensation for clients who suffer loss or injury as a result of police misconduct, including police assault, unlawful stop and search, unlawful arrest or seizure of goods and false imprisonment
- Helping the families of those who have died following contact with the police or other public bodies, for instance, representation for members of the Hillsborough Family Support Group in relation to civil claims against public bodies arising out of the Hillsborough tragedy
- Obtaining disciplinary action against officers following complaints to the Independent Office for Police Conduct.
- Helping the families of those who have died following contact with the police or other public bodies through representation at inquests into their deaths.
- Representing prisoners who have been subject to unlawful treatment whilst in custody, such as assaults by prison staff and/or other prisoners, strip searches, negligent treatment, lack of medical care, and being detained for longer than their sentence.
- Challenging decisions of the police and/or Crown Prosecution Service in relation to failures to prosecute alleged perpetrators of crimes. We regularly represent victims of sexual assault in trying to secure prosecutions.
- Helping clients who were unlawfully detained by immigration authorities
Saunders Law - Protecting & Enforcing Our Clients’ Rights
At Saunders Law, we’re dedicated to protecting civil liberties and restoring the balance of power between the state and individuals. We’re well-known for our high-profile work and tirelessly fighting our clients’ corners.
We are ranked as a leading firm in The Legal 500 for Civil Liberties and Human Rights, and Administrative and Public Law, and in Chambers & Partners for Police Law: Mainly Claimant, whilst our Head of Department, Nia Williams is ranked as leading individual.
“The whole team is excellent - they are particularly good at getting into the details of cases." Chambers and Partners 2021
‘I have been very impressed with the civil liberties team. They are well-organised, persuasive and legally strong and very good to deal with. I would certainly place them at the upper end in quality of firms practising in this area’. Legal 500 2021
‘The Saunders team is smaller than some in the area, but they punch above their weight, handling a number of high profile and complex cases’. Legal 500 2021
Operating from offices facing the High Court in central London, we’re ideally located to handle claims against the state. For a free, no-obligation, initial discussion of how we may be able to help you make a claim, please contact us today.