Ali is an 18-year qualified solicitor with specialisms in criminal litigation, criminal record deletion, professional and university misconduct, trading standards matters for both individuals and companies, and also restraint orders, cash forfeiture and money laundering.
Ali has defended a plethora of violent and sexual allegations including death by dangerous driving, rape, kidnap and false imprisonment. Ali has also defended in large-scale and complex fraud investigations and trials.
Ali was ranked in Chambers for Crime 2020, 2021 and 2022
“This man cares deeply about his clients, his firm, and his profession”
"He brings an incisive and thoughtful approach to his cases."
Ali has developed a specialism for counter-investigation, particularly where the Crown has taken the word of the complainant/s as ‘true’ or ‘correct’ whilst disregarding either potential defences or material inconsistent with the Crown’s theory.
Between 2016 and 2020, Ali successfully defended the principal (and owner) of a large dental practice in both the criminal investigation and advocacy before the General Dental Council, where the alleged fraudulent activity spanned nine years and three separate dental practices. The CPS declined to prosecute Alistair’s client in 2020, but GDC proceedings continue.
Ali conducted fresh evidence appeal against a 2012 rape conviction. The appeal was allowed in 2016. In 2017, the Prosecution offered no evidence at retrial.
In 2017, Ali personally defended a police officer charged with harassing her neighbour by making a series of false noise complaints. Ali’s client was acquitted by a District Judge after trial.
Ali obtains Defendants Costs Orders (often granted at enhanced rates) for eligible defendants, as well as costs orders against the Prosecuting body where possible.
Ali is a recommended lawyer for Professional Misconduct in the Legal 500, 2019 edition.
He has defended professionals before the General Dental Council, the Health and Care Professions Council, the Solicitors Regulation Authority and Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal, and the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
Notable work includes:
- successful appeal against a GDC decision not to recognise a periodontologist as a specialist in her field, 2020
- successful appeal against a GDC decision not to recognise the dental qualifications and experience of a foreign national as equivalent to those of the UK, 2022
- successful appeal against an SRA decision to publish a Rule 43 decision about a trainee solicitor, 2022
- successfully defending a newly-qualified dentist who admitted entering fraudulent NHS claims to the GDC Interim Orders Hearing. Despite this, no suspension or practising conditions were ordered by the Panel, 2017.
- Representing a London post-graduate physiotherapy student in two allegations of sexual misconduct, and failure to disclose to his university. Ali’s client was ultimately permitted to continue his studies, 2022.